You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘Chennai’ tag.
Netmagic Solutions Pvt. Ltd., a managed IT hosting service provider contributed to the dream of a Greener India by earning a LEED Gold for Commercial Interiors (CI) for its Chennai data centre from the US Green Building Council (USGBC). This is India’s first data centre to have received this coveted rating.
Netmagic’s Chennai data centre has embraced several green features to make the premise truly energy-efficient. The additional cost of incorporating these much-needed features was less than 10%.
This consists of a long list that includes site ecology, water conservation, smart energy meters and equipment, reduction of carbon dioxide emissions, recycled content, effective waste management, eco-friendly interiors and so on.
- Site ecology has been maintained by reusing the evacuated top soil for landscaping.
- There is a rain water harvesting system that collects rain water for landscape irrigation and toilet flushing; and a 50% reduction in potable water consumption has been achieved by using water efficient fittings and water meters.
- Dependence on fossil fuels has been reduced by providing carpool facilities, bicycles and alternate fuel options through provision of electric vehicle charging points.
- The lighting system has a lighting power density of 0.69 W/Sqft as against 1 W/Sqft for office space.
- The roof has been treated with high reflective paint to minimize heat ingress and has brought about a 3-4 Degree Centigrade reduction in temperature in the indoor spaces.
- The furniture, seating, carpet, glass, composite wood, aluminium, false ceiling, etc is made of recyclable material.
- All paints, adhesives, furniture, carpets and housekeeping chemicals are eco-friendly and free of harmful components.
- Waste bins for different categories of waste have been provided.
- It is a ‘No Smoking’ premise with several operable windows to facilitate cross ventilation.
- Occupants have been provided with task lighting and lighting control to ensure better comfort and high productivity.
- Energy meters have been installed to measure and monitor energy consumption of the building. An overall 20% higher energy efficiency has been achieved through these innovative energy efficiency measures integrated right at the design stage.